Deferred Action for Parental Accountability in the U.S.

Updated on Monday 28th November 2016

Rate this article
based on 1 reviews

Deferred Action for Parental Accountability in the U.S. Image
The Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) in the U.S., also known as the Deferred Action for Parents of American and Lawful Permanent Residents, is a program initiated by President Barack Obama in 2014. It represents a planned immigration policy in the U.S. to issue deferred action statute for certain unlawful immigrants who have resided in the country since 2010 and have dependents who are citizens or legal permanent residents of the U.S.

There are several states in the U.S. that filed lawsuits, sustaining that DAPA violates the constitution and federal statutes. As a result, the program was blocked from being applied while the lawsuit takes place.

Who can qualify for DAPA in the U.S.?

In order to qualify for DAPA in the U.S., the person in question should:

•    Have been residing in the U.S. on a continuous basis since 2010;
•   Have been present in the U.S. on November 20, 2014 and at the date when he or she made the request for consideration of DAPA with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);
•    Not have had the legal status on November 20, 2014;
•    Have had a child who was a citizen of the U.S. or a legal permanent resident on November 20, 2014;
•   Not have been convicted for a crime, not be a national security threat or is not due to be removed from the country. Our immigration lawyers in Miami can provide more details on this matters.

How to prepare for the DAPA application in the U.S.

In order to prepare for the DAPA application in the U.S., different documents should be gathered, such as:

•    Bank statements, money order receipts and annulled checks;
•    Union membership recordings;
•    Receipts or bills (electricity, phone, water, insurance, etc.);
•    Rental agreements, leases or property documents (for a house or a car);
•    Medical records for the parent, as well as for the child if they list the parent’s name on them;
•    A picture ID or driver’s license;
•    School records or different attendance certificates;
•   Other documents. An immigration lawyer in Miami can offer more information on what these other documents may consist of.

We can represent parents of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents with their Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) in the U.S.; please get in touch with an immigration attorney in Miami from our immigration law firm.


There are no comments

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.