Special Immigrant Juvenile Status in Miami
Updated on Thursday 09th June 2016
Rate this article 1 reviewsbased on
Children from the U.S. who are born from foreign citizen parents and who are abused, neglected or abandoned by both or one of their parents can qualify for a green card in the U.S. (lawful permanent resident status). This is named Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Special Immigrant Juvenile Status in Miami
The main advantage of the SIJ status in Miami is that it enables a child to reside inside the U.S. with the green card status. A person who is a green card holder in the U.S. can reside in the country, work and live in it without restrictions, provided that he or she follows a special set of rules. After becoming a U.S. citizen, the individual who applied for the SIJ status can petition for a green card for his or her sisters and brothers.
The disadvantage of the SIJ status in Miami is that the child is never able to sponsor either one of his parents for immigration purposes in the future, even if the child later becomes a citizen of the U.S.
Qualification criteria for the SIJ status in Miami
In order to qualify for the SIJ status in Miami, the child has to meet the following criteria:
• The child has to be under 21 years of age;
• He or she is not married;
• The child is reliant on the family or the juvenile court, or is placed in custody of an agency, state department, person or entity assigned by a state or juvenile court;
• Reintegration with one or both of the child’s parents is not appropriate because of abuse, abandonment, neglect or a similar reason established under the state law; and
• It would be against the child’s interest to be returned back to his or her country of origin.
Even though the process of obtaining the SIJ status in Miami is a quite complicated one, it can be rewarding and helpful for young individuals because it enables the green card status. As a green card holder, a person can in due course become a citizen of the U.S. as soon as he or she meets the required conditions. The advantages can be great, however the special immigrant juvenile process in Miami can be intricate and it implies certain risks, so analyze your situation carefully and get competent advice from qualified immigration lawyers in Miami.
For a consultation, contact one of our Miami immigration attorneys.