Spouse Visa for U.S.

Updated on Thursday 30th March 2017

Rate this article
based on 4 reviews

Spouse Visa for U.S. Image
A U.S. citizen who is married with a foreign spouse has two ways to bring in Miami, U.S. his wife or her husband. The first option refers to the immigrant visa for a spouse (IR1 or CR1) and the second one is the non-immigrant visa (K-3). 

If you need to apply for a spouse visa, our team of immigration lawyers in Miami can provide all the legal support, in order to bring your spouse in Miami

The Immigrant Visa for spouse in U.S.

A person who applies for an immigrant visa (IR 1) has to fill  the Form I -130, Alien Relative Petition Form I -130. These are the first steps in this procedure and they are processed with the Homeland Security Department by the husband or the wife of a U.S. citizen

The Form I-130 must be completed by the American citizen in order to help the immigrant relative to relocate in Miami, U.S. The Form I-130 can have other purposes, besides the one through which spouses can enter U.S.

The U.S. citizen has to be at least 18 years old and needs to have the residence in any city located America. After all these are proven, the sponsor can sign for an official declaration of support. In case you want to apply for a spouse visa, our immigration lawyer in Miami can help you ease the application procedure.

The video below offers more information on the spouse visa in Miami, U.S.


The Non-Immigrant Visa for spouse in U.S.

The second possibility to bring your spouse in Miami is to apply for a non-immigrant visa. Same as for the immigrant visa, in this situation it is also required to fill in the Alien Relative Petition. This category shortens the separation between the spouse and the U.S. citizen because it is a type of visa that can be obtained previously the immigrant one. 

You can apply for the K-3 permit and enter the state to wait for the approval of the immigrant visa. The spouse must fill out all the documents required in order to apply for a non-immigrant visa, but only when the immigrant visa process is on role. 

Furthermore, when a spouse applies for this type of visa, he/she should know that this application will be made in the country where the marriage took place.

Usually, when a U.S. citizen wants to bring his spouse in Miami, the logical step is to fill in the immigrant visa documents and after that, until this visa is approved, the foreign spouse can move further on and apply for a non-immigrant visa to cut down the period of separation.

It is important to know that there are two main situations for applying for a spouse visa

•    the spouse is already on the American territory and had received the lawful admission on parole;
•    the spouse is living outside the U.S

In the first situation, the applicant will need to submit the following documents: 

•    Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relatives and the Form I- 485;
•    Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

In the second case, only the first document is required to be submitted for verifications. It is necessary to fill in all the sections of the document: 

•    Part A – Relationship;
•    Part B – Information About You;
•    Part C – Information About Your Relative.

The document contains fields on the names, address, place of birth and marital status of the parties involved in the procedure. It is also necessary to complete the Part E, Signature of Petitioner, and it is important to know that the signature is compulsory and if the applicant does not complete it, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will not be able to process the document. 

In case you want to bring your spouse in Miami and he or she needs to apply for a spouse visa, our local immigration lawyers can provide complete legal assistance.

For any other information, please contact our Miami immigration attorneys.



February 23, 2017

My husband will soon start this procedure, as he is currently living in Slovenia.

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.