U Visa for U.S.

Updated on Monday 18th July 2016

Rate this article
based on 0 reviews

U Visa for U.S. Image
The U visa for U.S., or the U nonimmigrant status, is issued for victims of certain crimes who have endured psychological or physical abuse and assist the law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal deeds. 

Reasons for issuing the U Visa for U.S.

The U visa for U.S. was issued by the Congress with the passage of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (including the Battered Immigrant Women’s Protection Act) in the year of 2000. The laws were meant to reinforce the capability of law enforcement bodies to investigate and prosecute cases of domestic aggression, sexual assault, trafficking of foreign citizens and other crimes, while in the same time to protect the victims of criminality who have endured significant psychological or physical abuse owed to the crime and who want to assist law enforcement agencies in the investigation and prosecution of the illegal activity. Our immigration lawyers in Miami can offer more details on these issues.

Eligibility for the U visa for U.S.

The individuals who can obtain the U visa for U.S. are the ones who were in one of the following situations. If you do not find yourself in any of them, you might want to apply for asylum in the U.S.

•    He or she has to be a victim of qualifying illegal activity;
•    The applicant should have endured significant physical or psychological abuse resulted from being a victim of illegal activity;
•    The candidate has information on the illegal activity. In case he or she is under 18 years of age or is not capable to offer information because of disability, a parent, a guardian, or friend could have the information on his or her behalf. Our immigration lawyers in Miami  can provide more information on this matter;
•    In order to receive the U visa for U.S., he or she was, is or is likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the illegal deed. If the candidate is under 16 years of age or is not able to offer information because a disability, a parent, a guardian or a friend can help law enforcement on his or her behalf;
•    The illegal deed happened in the U.S. or broke U.S. laws;
•    The applicant is admissible into the U.S. If he or she is not admissible, he or she can apply for a waiver.

For more details, please contact our Miami immigration attorneys.


There are no comments

Please note that URLs are not allowed in the message.