Crew Visa for the U.S.

Updated on Tuesday 19th January 2021

Rate this article
based on 1 reviews

Crew Visa for the U.S. Image

The crew visa for the U.S., also known as the D visa, is one which enables a temporary stay in the country for individuals who are employed onboard sea vessels or international airlines in the U.S. and who intend to leave the country in maximum 29 days from the date of their arrival. An important immigration issue in Miami is the fact that this type of visa is a nonimmigrant one and is valid for two years.

You can rely on our immigration lawyers in Miami for guidance to obtaining this visa, but also a residence permit in USA.

How to apply for the crew visa in the U.S.

In order to apply for the crew visa in the U.S., the following steps need to be taken:

1.    Fill out the online DS-160 Form. A Miami immigration lawyer can guide you through the process of finding and filling out this form;;
2.    Pay the application fee: this fee is valued at USD 160, payable also in the applicant’s local currency;
3.    Schedule an interview: an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in the visa candidate’s country of origin has to be scheduled for the visa issuance. To do so, the applicant will need:
       •    A passport number;
       •    The receipt number from the application fee receipt;
       •    The ten digit barcode number from the DS-160 confirmation page.
4.    Attend the interview: at the scheduled date and time for the interview, the applicant has to attend the interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in his or her country of origin. 

If you are interested in USA citizenship, we can guide you.

Who can apply for the crew visa in the U.S.?

In terms of who can apply for the crew visa in the U.S., virtually any crew member can qualify for this type of visa. Crew members include pilots, stewards, flight attendants, seaman, air hostesses, or individuals hired by a vessel whose services are needed for normal task while travelling to the U.S.  It can also be used to obtain a residence permit in USA.

Documentation needed for the crew visa in the U.S.

When attending the U.S. Embassy or Consulate interview, the visa candidate must bring the following documentation:

•    A valid passport;
•    The confirmation page for the DS-160 Form;
•    The receipt of the application fee payment;
•    A printed photo, if the photo upload while completing the online DS-160 Form has failed.

Additionally, the candidate may be requested to present certain other documents, such as:

•    Evidence that the visa applicant is transiting to get on board a vessel;
•    Proof of the journey purpose;
•    Evidence that he or she has the intention to leave the U.S. after his or her journey. An immigration attorney in Miami can provide more details on what this evidence can consist of; and/or
•    Proof that the applicant has enough financial means to make the trip or that another individual will cover the trip costs.

If you are a crew member and you need a crew visa for the U.S., we can assist you with the application process. We invite you to get in touch with our immigration lawyers in Miami. You can rely on us for applying for USA citizenship.