Immigrate to USA from South Korea

Updated on Tuesday 16th August 2022

Rate this article
based on 1 reviews

Immigrate to USA from South Korea Image
Immigration from South Korea to the United States started growing in 1970 when around 39,000 Korean citizens arrived here. By 2010, there were already 1.1 million Koreans living in the USA. Ever since, the immigration laws have been modernized and those who want to relocate to the USA can apply for new types of visas.

If you decide to immigrate to USA from South Korea and need support, you can rely on our specialists in Miami. Our immigration lawyer will guide you no matter the type of visa you seek.

The most common ways through South Korean citizens move to the USA

Just like in other parts around the globe, there are several ways through which it is possible to relocate to USA from South Korea, however, the most employed are:
  • employment as it is one of the safest ways of ensuring not only immigration but also a stable income;
  • family reunification, as since 2010, the South Korean communities in several cities have increased a lot;
  • student passes are also requested by a large number of South Korean students who decide to remain here.

No matter the way you decide to use in order to immigrate to US from South Korea, you can use the services provided by our immigration lawyers in Miami.

How to relocate to USA from South Korea based on employment

Ever since they started arriving in the US, Korean citizens sought employment in order to support themselves. At this rate, in 2015, for example, 17,000 of them had already become American citizens and 56% of them acted as employer sponsors for those who wanted to migrate here.

Immigration by employment from South Korea to the United States implies two types of visas:
  • non-immigrant visas for temporary employees;
  • immigrant visas for those who want to settle here permanently.

Each comes with its requirements, however, in most cases EB-1 and EB-2 visas allow South Korean citizens to obtain Green Cards soon after relocation. The Green Card is the permanent residence permit one can obtain in a country.

The H-1B, L-1, E-1, and O-1 visas are issued for temporary stays, however, these can be converted into immigrant ones based on specific criteria.

If you do not know the pathway that suits your qualifications the most, feel free to address our immigration lawyer in Miami for guidance. Once these details are established, we can proceed and help you with the application procedure.

Family reunification for persons who want to immigrate to USA from South Korea

Nearly 50% of the Korean citizens who live in the United States are concentrated in communities in California, New York and New Jersey and they can act as sponsors for those who intend to relocate to the USA.

There are two options for people who want to move to US from South Korea based on family reunification, namely the Immediate Relative and Family Preference visas. Obtaining any of them depends on how close or distant relatives are the family members. However, in about 38% of the cases, the Immediate Relative one is the most sought.

Our immigration lawyers in Miami also inform South Korean citizens that fiancé and spouse visas also enter the family reunification category. So, if you are about to marry a US citizen, you can rely on us for support.

How many South Korean citizens live in the US?

The latest statistics gathered by indicate that:
  • at the level of 2017, there were around 1.06 million South Korean citizens established in the USA;
  • 31% of them reside in California, 9% of them are located in New York, while 7% live in New Jersey;
  • 63% of them are naturalized citizens of the United States.

If you decide to immigrate to USA from South Korea, do not hesitate to get in touch with us for assistance.