When and How to Replace your Green Card in Miami

Updated on Tuesday 19th January 2021

Rate this article
based on 2 reviews

When and How to Replace your Green Card in Miami Image
Replacing a green card is an important immigration issue in Miami. There are certain times when a permanent resident might have to replace his or her green card. Here is when and how to change your green card in Miami. If you need to apply for a residence permit in USA, you can rely on our immigration lawyers.

When to change a green card in Miami?

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a permanent or conditional resident in Miami must replace his or her green card in Miami when:

•    His or her previous card was lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed;
•    The card was granted before the resident was 14 years of age and he or she is now 14 years old (except if the card expires before the resident’s 16th birthday);
•    He or she has been a commuter and is now establishing residence inside the U.S. - one of our immigration attorneys in Miami can provide further details on this matter;
•    The resident has resided inside the U.S. and wants now to become a commuter;
•    His or her status has been automatically transformed to a permanent resident status – including Special Agricultural Worker applicants who transform their status to the permanent resident one. A
•   The person in question has an anterior version of the foreign citizen registration card which is invalid to prove his or her immigration status and now is obliged to substitute it with a current green card;
•    The card contains incorrect details;
•    The resident has legally changed his or her name or certain biographic data since he or she received the initial card; and
•    The permanent or conditional resident has never gotten the initial card issued by the USCIS.

The green card is also a pathway to USA citizenship.

How to apply for the green card replacement in Miami?

If a permanent resident or a conditional resident (initially issued a two-year green card) needs to replace his or her green card in Miami for any of the reasons mentioned above, the green card replacement process can be started by:

•    Filling the online E-Filling Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card;
•    Filling the paper Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card via mail.

We can also advise on how to apply for USA citizenship.

In case the resident is out of the U.S. and he or she has lost his or her green card, here is how to replace it:

•    He or she has to contact the closest U.S. consulate, USCIS office or port of entry prior to trying to file a Form I-90. 
•    If the Form I-90 is approved, the resident will be sent a replacement green card via mail with an expiration date of 10 years from the date it is granted.

If you need more information, please get in touch with our immigration lawyer in Miami. In case you need to obtain another type of visa for US, for example the spouse visa, our lawyers can help you.  We can also assist in applying for a residence permit in USA.