Moving to USA from Mexico

Updated on Tuesday 23rd February 2021

Rate this article
based on 1 reviews

Moving to USA from Mexico Image
The United States and Mexico share a common border which is why the number of Mexican citizens choosing to move to Miami is quite high. However, these represent the largest community of foreign-born citizens of America as their immigration has started many years ago.

Nowadays, those interesting in moving from Mexico to USA have multiple channels they can use and apply for various types of visas which enable them to settle in any American city.

If you are interested in moving from Mexico to USA, you can rely on our lawyers in Miami who can help you in various immigration matters.

The main ways for immigration from Mexico to the USA

Most Mexican citizens who decide to immigrate to the United States decide to do that through employment or family reunification. For this purpose, they need to acquire one of the following types of visas:
  • the EB-1 and EB-2 employment visas that imply the issuance of Green Cards,
  • the H-1B, L-1, O-1, and E-1 visas that temporary work visas issued to non-immigrants,
  • the fiancé visa that can be obtained by Mexican citizens who are about to marry American citizens,
  • the spouse visa that can be obtained by Mexican citizens moving to the USA with their American spouses.

As a member of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Mexican citizens are also eligible for the non-immigrant professional visa (TN visa). This is also applicable to Canadian citizens, however, it should be noted that there are more benefits for those moving to USA from Mexico under immigrant visas.

Our immigration lawyers in Miami can offer detailed information on all types of visas available for immigrants from Mexico. Our team will also help them establish themselves here.

The TN visa when moving to USA from Mexico

Immigration from Mexico to the United States represents a big opportunity for highly skilled professionals which in the case of Mexican citizens can imply obtaining the TN visas that will allow them to work for US companies. What should be noted is that this is a non-immigrant type of residence permit, and thus it will enable the foreign citizen to work temporarily in the US.

Among the eligibility criteria for this type of visa we mention:
  1. the applicant must be a Mexican citizen (the visa is not issued to permanent residents),
  2. the profession for which the applicant has been issued the visa must be on the NAFTA list,
  3. the position must be filled by a professional as presented in the NAFTA treaty,
  4. the applicant will be working in a full-time or part-time position as previously arranged,
  5. the applicant must meet specific education, qualification, and experience requirements.

If you have questions about moving to USA from Mexico under this type of visa, our specialists are at your service for detailed information.

If you want to relocate to the USA from another country, our immigration law firm in Miami can support you.

Family reunification for Mexican citizens moving to the USA

As mentioned earlier, immigration from Mexico to the US has started a long time ago which is why many citizens of this country can apply for family reunification visas if they want to live here.
Moving to USA from Mexico under a family reunification program implies obtaining an Immediate Relative or a Family Preference visa.

the Immediate Relative visa is issued to close family members such as the parent, spouse, or child of a US citizen. The advantage of this visa is that there is no cap on the number of residence permits issued under this program.

Those interested in moving to USA from Mexico under the Family Preference visa category must know that this is available to distant family members of US permanent residents. This type of visa is issued in a limited number per year.

When deciding to move from Mexico to USA, one is first invited to discuss with our lawyers in Miami about all the options. Our specialists will also explain the main requirements associated with obtaining permanent residence (the US Green Card).

How many Mexican citizens live in the USA?

The Mexican community is the largest in the United States, as according to Migration Policy:
  • around 60% of the Mexican immigrants arrived in the US more than 20 years ago,
  • in 2019, it represented around 24% of the nearly 45 million foreign-born citizens living in the US,
  • the same year, there were approximately 10.9 million Mexican citizens living here,
  • in 2020, more than 500,000 Mexican citizens entered the USA through the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program.

If you are interested in moving to USA from Mexico and need support, please contact our immigration lawyers in Miami for guidance.